Gluten Free is not a Fad for Me


 
 
With so much negative attention in the media about gluten free diets, its important to do the research and get your facts straight. I am not gluten free because of some fad diet craze to lose weight, I don't eat gluten because it make me feel sick. And I mean really sick! Chronic fatigue, atopic dermatitis, severe abdominal cramps, diarrhea that lasted for days, followed by constipation, and more diarrhea. I couldn't take it any longer! I felt awful. The worse I felt, the more toast and crackers I ate, which led the cycle to continue. I just never got better. After 2 years of testing (Colonoscopy, Gastroscopy, Celiac blood test), all with inconclusive results,  and multiple visits to my doctor, I sought help from a naturopath who helped me pinpoint the items in my diet that created these symptoms.  I even met with a nutritionist and took a GF cooking class to help me understand my new lifestyle better. Since ditching gluten and dairy, I feel like a new person. If I eat something that contains dairy, I will bloat within hours and look 5 months pregnant and will cause serious constipation. If I eat gluten, I will be locked in my bathroom on and off for the day, followed by napping and binge eating (also causes me to feel like I'm starving).  It is an awful feeling to be afraid to leave the house because you are afraid of where an "attack" may occur. At least at the mall, a bathroom is easy to find ... on a walk to the park with 2 kids, not so much.  TMI, I know.

The point is, some people truly cannot eat gluten even if they don't have a Celiac diagnosis. Do you think I would choose to eat this way?? DO you know how hard it can be?? Surviving a party that has no food for you to eat?? No where to grab a quick lunch? Groceries are double the price!

Gluten free isn't always healthy either! If you read the labels, you'll quickly find that they are full of fat, calories, and sugar. The things I do choose to buy tend to be on the healthier side. I didn't buy donuts before I stopped eating gluten, so why would I buy the gluten free version?? Just because they make them?? Sorry to tell ya, but they are not healthier just because they say "Gluten Free". Same goes for the cookies, cake mixes, and sugary cereals.  I choose my items carefully based on a low grain diet, which is NOT low carb. I still eat carbs! I eat brown rice, small amounts of GF oats, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn and all kinds of fruit and veggies. There are some pretty decent types of bread and buns too. My favourite is "Udi's" brand. I just make sure to balance my meals out throughout the day so that I am not eating grains at every meal, but I will eat a different type of carb instead.  My new favourite idea is to use a big lettuce leaf to wrap around my burger instead of a bun. Not a new idea, just new to me!
 
Don't judge me (or others) for being gluten free, there is a medical reason for it.  But if you are contemplating eating gluten free to lose weight, I would advise against it.  Opt for a low gluten or low grain lifestyle instead. You'll feel just as good and see more results!
*Checking with a medical professional, naturopath, dietitian, or nutritionist is recommended.
~Jen

Comments

Popular Posts