In need of a "Refresh"

I consider myself a healthy and active person, but even the fittest people "fall off the wagon" and need to be rejuvenated and refreshed. We need to be reminded to make time for ourselves, and find new passions in healthy living (i.e., new recipes, workout regimes, workout buddy, etc.).

I have recently found myself being disappointed with how much I have "let myself go". Not just weight wise, but the amount of leeway I've given myself on food choices on weekends. I feel that my clean eating during the week is ruined with each weekend that passes by. I find myself making excuses to eat a second helping, drinking more alcohol, eating chips, and making over all unhealthy food choices. I have to also admit that I have become lazy in my workouts.

I had to really look at the reasons why. #1 for me is stress. I need a break. Last year's robbery sent me on a path of binge drinking away any anxiety or stress on weekends. And with our son's recent diagnosis and appointments, I find myself in this place again. I am exhausted and in need of a "reboot". A good friend reminded me last night, that I don't need to drown my stress with alcohol, I need to find other ways to release it, like going for a walk with a friend, listening to loud music in the car, and doing things that make me happy. Trying to set aside time for me. I also made myself a long overdue appointment at the DR for a physical. Super important, but most doctor visits tend to be for our kids, and I kept pushing it off (3 and a half years later ...).

Another close friend of ours challenged us to eating vegan one day out of each week. I accepted that challenge and challenged myself to make one new recipe each week and share it with others. One blog and book I've been reading is "Oh She Glows" by Angela Liddon.
Today, I am going to try to make her "Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai"  :

Rad Rainbow Raw Pad Thai


Yield: 2 large servings + scant 2/3 cup dressing
  • 1 medium zucchini, julienned or spiraled
  • 2 large carrots, julienned
  • 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
  • 3/4 cup frozen edamame, thawed (or try tofu)
  • 3 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
  • 1 teaspoon sesame seeds

For the dressing (adapted from my Spicy Peanut Lime Sauce):
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup raw almond butter (or try peanut butter)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium tamari
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2.5 teaspoons pure maple syrup (or other sweetener)
  • 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger

1. Prep vegetables. Add the zucchini, carrots, pepper, and cabbage into one or two large bowls. Toss with hands to combine.
2. Prepare the dressing by processing all dressing ingredients in a mini processor (or simply whisk by hand). The dressing may seem a bit thin at first, but it thickens as it sits.
3. Top bowls with edamame (or tofu), green onion, hemp seeds, and sesame seeds. Pour on dressing and enjoy!
This afternoon I am trading my usually "brew" or G&T for this green smoothie:

Back on Track Green Monster (Banana Free)


Yield: 3 cups
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup kale
  • 1 large Gala apple (or other sweet apple), roughly chopped
  • 1 English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tsp fresh grated ginger
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
  • Maple syrup, to taste (I used 1/2 tbsp or so)
  • 4-5 Ice cubes
  • Protein powder, optional

1. Place all ingredients except maple syrup and ice into a high-speed blender and blend on high until very smooth. Blend in ice and maple syrup to taste.
2. Guzzle.
3. Feel amazing.

I also need to look at my workouts ... I started with a morning run with my neighbour and good friend. It wasn't pretty, ugh.  I had to make a few stops, but I got out there and had a nice long chat with my friend and also got some exercise at the same time.  The sun was shinning and the fresh air felt great (even though my legs didn't)!
So today is the day I decided my yoga pants don't need to be tight. Only I can make the change. I want to have  more energy, and now that the weather is nicer, I plan to grab as much vitamin D as possible to help improve my energy levels.
Today's goals:
1. Make a list of things that make me happy or that I enjoy.
2. Look at improving my workout regime and make a plan.
3. Add one whole "vegan day" to my eating habits.
4. Try a new vegan recipe each week.
5. Reduce alcohol intake.
I feel like this is a great time for me to "renew" myself, routines, and habits.
Check out my post on the "Vegan Challenge".

~Jen


Comments

Popular Posts