Facebook or "Fakebook"?

I'm guilty of only posting the "good" pics from our life on Facebook. From my albums, life does look pretty darn perfect! And it is in many ways. I wouldn't change it. But it is isn't easy being a parent, spouse and working full time. We all want to hide how hard it is. No one wants to admit it for fear that they will seem like a failure. I wish we were all a little more honest...

From the outside looking in, everyone else seems to have it all ... according to their albums on Facebook anyways.
  • The urns on my porch may be neatly planted and colourful, but behind my door lies a pile of shoes and a messy house. What I wouldn't give for extra hours in the day.
  • My hair and make-up are done, cute outfit on, but I scrutinized by body's imperfections all morning.  What I wouldn't give to look in the mirror and love my body.
  • My classroom is organized and I seem to have it all together, but I am consumed with thoughts of the day we were robbed at gun point. What I wouldn't give to erase that memory from our minds.
  • My kids are beautiful, intelligent and funny, but my oldest suffers from anxiety and has serious meltdowns, while my youngest watches, and it breaks my heart. What I wouldn't give to help him cope and ease his mind.
I guess posting the "perfect" pictures from our life is a way to treasure the good times we have together. It's not because I am faking everything ... Those are the memories I want to have and share with my family and friends.

Don't judge or compare your own life and struggles to someone else's based on their Facebook album. No one has the perfect life.  We all have struggles. Focus on the good.

Today we had family photos taken, and I am sure that they will be beautiful and perfect ... capturing the "good". What you won't see is the 30 min tantrum my son had about getting dressed, the crying in between smiles, the bribes for a new movie and a Happy Meal. All for a picture that I can hang on the wall and post on Facebook!
~Jen

Comments

Popular Posts