Classroom Start-up

I didn't have to move classes this year ... phew!! It was so nice to have my class ready to go. I used an idea I got from a magazine cover and made emojis on paper plates to decorate my "social media" themed classroom. Perfect for my "Savvy Sixes".
So far, the kids are lovin' the theme. We started with a worksheet I made called "My Summer on Instagram" and a Facebook page that's a new spin on the "all about me" work sheet usually given at the beginning of the year. Using some ideas from Pinterest, I also created an Instagram wall to post class pics. I also posted random school memes around the room ... my students think they are hilarious! Most are about school rules, like raising your hand, using the washroom, etc.
Here are some of my pics etc.

  • Instagram Summer Break Student Page
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByalG_1OnG11UkZaY1QyYU0wSTA/view?usp=sharing

  • Facebook "get to know you" page
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/357473289143403485/



This year I also created a "Peace Place" or "Calm Corner" for students to use to reduce anxiety. I bought a bean bag chair and made up a basket of sensory items (putty, tangles, squishy toys). There I also have paper, pencil crayons, a deck of cards, and a "Find it" game. I also have a drawer full of gum! Believe it or not, gum helps many kids focus and reduces anxiety! Some other ideas my friend gave me and my son's OT suggested were, bubbles, kinetic sand, and colouring books geared towards reducing stress and promoting relaxation. Those are next on my list to purchase.

I am looking forward to learning more from this new group of pupils! I am learning so much about how they learn and what they need already!

Jen

Comments

Popular Posts