Safe Travels



I am a self-proclaimed "worry wart". I am usually well aware of my surroundings and worry about every possible thing that may go wrong when we travel. I get anxious days before we go anywhere, suffering from stomach aches and restlessness. Our vacations have always gone smoothly and we have had some really incredible experiences ... until last year. We rented an amazing house with friends, as we had done before, but this time we were victims of a horrific robbery which left us shaken and without any money. Looking back, I am filled with "what ifs" and "should haves". I can't change what happened to us, but I can change how we travel in the future and be more proactive.
Here are a few tips that I have compiled for my family to help us travel more safely and smartly:
  • Don't take all your ID with you. Pack the essentials, like health cards and passports.
  • Keep passports completely separate from your wallet and other ID.
  • Use the safe where you are staying.
  • Keep your money/credit cards separated in two wallets or two different areas. If one is stolen, at least you have a back up. Thank goodness that our friends did this and we were able to survive the week on their credit card.
  • Ensure the place you are staying has adequate security (e.g., alarm system, guard, bars on windows, etc.).
  • Be aware of your surroundings. When on vacation, many people tend to let their "guard down" and have a false sense of security, especially while drinking. Also be careful who you are friendly with, being careful not to share accommodation details.
I hope these tips help you also!
~Jen


Comments

Popular Posts